Safety Activity Checkpoints - individual chapters
For a complete download of Safety Activity Checkpoint.
Climbing and Rappelling
Cross Country Skiing
Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding
In-Line Skating and Roller Skating
Other Land Sports
Sledding, Tobogganing and Snow Tubing
Arts and Crafts
Computer and Online Safety
Girl Scout Cookies/Council-Sponsored Product Sale
Parades and Other Large Group Gatherings
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
Prepare for the Activity
These checkpoints discuss steps to take in advance of the activity. Not every category is listed here, and not every activity includes these categories.
- Communicate with council and parents.
- Ensure prerequisites. Ranges from an ability to swim to knowledge of primitive camping.
- Arrange for transportation and adult supervision. Recommended adult-to-girl ratios for this activity.
- Verify instructor knowledge and experience. Ensuring the volunteers or on-site instructors possess the proper skill set, knowledge, training/certification and/or documented experience according to your council’s guidelines, as outlined in Volunteer Essentials.
- Select a safe site. A game plan for ensuring the safest experience possible.
- Compile key contacts. Information on itineraries, phone trees, and other contact information.
- Respect the environment.
- Prepare for emergencies.
On the Day of the Activity
These checkpoints include important final reminders on the day of the activity. Not every category is listed here, and not every activity includes these categories.
- Get a weather report.
- Review rescue tips.
- Use the buddy system.
- Be prepared in the event of a storm with lightning.